Updated: March 23, 2023

How To Fix Yellow Flame On Gas Burner?

Written by:
Timothy Spencer
Edited by:
Brian Dean
Fact-Checked by:
Josh Reynolds
Table Of Contents
Save Upto $850 ›

A gas stove is a common appliance in many households. It provides a quick and efficient way to cook food, but sometimes the flame on the stove can be yellow instead of the typical blue color. A yellow flame is not only unsightly but also indicates a potential issue with the stove. In this blog, we will explore the causes of a yellow flame on a gas stove, how to fix it, and the dangers associated with it.

What Causes a Yellow Flame on a Gas Stove?

The flame on a gas stove should be blue, indicating that the gas is burning efficiently. However, if the flame is yellow, it indicates incomplete combustion. There are several reasons why a gas stove flame may turn yellow, including:

Dirty burners:

Dirt and debris can clog the burner ports, causing the gas to burn incompletely and produce a yellow flame.

Incorrect air-to-gas ratio:

The gas stove requires a specific ratio of air to gas to burn correctly. If there is not enough air, the flame can become yellow.

High humidity:

High humidity levels can affect the gas-to-air ratio, leading to incomplete combustion and a yellow flame.

Faulty gas regulator:

A malfunctioning gas regulator can cause a yellow flame.

Can a Yellow Flame on a Gas Stove be Fixed?

Yes, a yellow flame on a gas stove can be fixed. Here are some steps you can take to resolve the issue:

Cut Out the Gas Supply to the Stove:

Before you start working on your gas stove, turn off the gas supply. You can do this by turning off the valve located on the gas line leading to the stove.

Check the Manual:

Consult the manual that came with your stove to determine if there are any specific cleaning or maintenance procedures that need to be followed.

Clean the Stove Thoroughly:

Use a soft brush to remove any dirt, dust, or debris from the burner ports. You can also use a toothbrush to get into hard-to-reach areas. Once you have cleaned the burners, wipe them down with a damp cloth.

Check all Orifices:

Ensure all orifices are clean and clear of any blockages. You can use a needle or pin to clear out any debris that may be stuck in the orifices.

Turn Off Your Humidifier:

If you have a humidifier running in the kitchen, turn it off. The added moisture can affect the gas-to-air ratio, leading to incomplete combustion and a yellow flame.

Call an Appliance Service Technician:

If you have tried all the above steps and still have a yellow flame on your gas stove, it may be time to call in a professional. An appliance service technician can help diagnose and fix the issue.

Is a Yellow Flame on a Gas Stove Dangerous?

Yes, a yellow flame on a gas stove can be dangerous. When the gas burns incompletely, it produces carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly in high concentrations.

Combustion Principle:

Combustion occurs when fuel (gas) combines with oxygen to produce heat, carbon dioxide, and water vapor. Incomplete combustion occurs when there is not enough oxygen to burn all the fuel, leading to the production of carbon monoxide.

Risk of Excess Carbon Monoxide:

Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and loss of consciousness. In severe cases, it can lead to death.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

One of the most dangerous aspects of carbon monoxide is that it is odorless and colorless, making it difficult to detect. However, there are some signs that can indicate carbon monoxide poisoning, including:


Carbon monoxide can cause headaches, which are often one of the first symptoms of poisoning.

Nausea and vomiting:

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.


Carbon monoxide can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, and confusion.

Shortness of breath:

Carbon monoxide can interfere with the body’s ability to use oxygen, leading to shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.

Chest pain:

Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can cause chest pain and tightness.


Carbon monoxide can cause fatigue, weakness, and sleepiness.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, it is essential to seek medical attention immediately.

What to Do If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, it is essential to take immediate action to protect yourself and others in your household. Here are some steps you should take:

  • Get outside: If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get outside immediately. The gas can quickly build up in enclosed spaces, so it is essential to get into fresh air as soon as possible.
  • Call for help: Call your local emergency services or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
  • Don’t go back inside: Do not go back inside until the problem has been resolved and the area has been ventilated.
  • Prevent future exposure: Once the problem has been resolved, take steps to prevent future exposure to carbon monoxide. This may include installing a carbon monoxide detector and scheduling regular maintenance for your gas appliances.


A yellow flame on a gas stove is not only unsightly but also potentially dangerous. It is important to take steps to fix the issue and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. By following the steps outlined in this blog, you can ensure that your gas stove is burning efficiently and safely. Remember to always prioritize safety when working with gas appliances and seek professional help if needed.

You May Also Like

This article has been drafted by Team BurnEssa. This said team comprises of experts in their relevant fields having sole objective of providing a solution based on facts and figures. We are also running a local store with regard to providing certified services of Gas Cooktop repair & installation. So the advices we provide in this forum are legitimate and genuine to the extent of our best knowledge, experiences and expertise. You can join us on our social media platforms to contribute in helping others.
Liked Our Article?
There is plenty more to come. Subscribe to our Newsletter to stay updated
Subscription Form (#3)
Mentioned Products
8210 Florida Dr, Pembroke Pines, FL 33025, USA
Email: company.burnessa@gmail.com
All content and information on this website and/or newsletter is for informational & educational purposes only, and does not constitute professional advice of any kind. Although we strive to provide accurate general information, the information presented here, related to your query, cannot be treated as substitute for any kind of professional advice, and you should not rely solely on this information.
Subscribe For Weekly Updates
Subscription Form (#3)
Copyright © 2022 BurnEssa. All rights reserved